The National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) will hold a public meeting May 31-June 1, 2023, to discuss the revision of the 2011 National Nanotechnology Initiative Environmental, Health, and Safety Research Strategy (EHS Research Strategy). NNI encourages individuals, non-governmental organizations (NGO), academic and research institutions, and the private sector interested in the responsible development of nanotechnology to attend and contribute to creating an updated EHS Research Strategy. NNI seeks feedback and perspectives on progress toward the goals set out in the EHS Research Strategy and on remaining research gaps, new challenges, and opportunities. NNI states that by involving the broadest cross section of stakeholders early in the process, it “hopes to prepare a fresh and durable strategic guide that is responsive to the continuing evolution of nanotechnology as an enabling technology.”
- Assessing the progress in reaching the research goals set in 2011;
- How NNI’s EHS infrastructure has contributed to understanding the health and safety implications of nanotechnology; and
- Tackling the ethical, legal, and societal implications (ELSI) as an overarching frame for NNI’s EHS research.
- Forging the cross-cutting themes and an integrated approach to the research questions, needs, and approaches in the refreshed strategy; and
- Strategic action post-2023.
More information on NNI’s EHS Research Strategy is available in our October 21, 2011, blog item.