On January 23, 2008, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) issued a notice entitled “Call for Scientific Data on Applications of Nanotechnology and Nanomaterials used in Food and Feed.” According to the notice, EFSA is seeking data that could be useful as it prepares an initial scientific opinion for the European Commission (EC) regarding the risks arising from nanoscience and nanotechnologies on food and feed safety and the environment. The EC asked EFSA to identify the nature of the possible hazards associated with actual and foreseen applications in the food and feed area, and to provide general guidance on data needed for the risk assessment of such technologies and applications. EFSA intends to release a draft of its opinion in July 2008. Data submissions to EFSA are due March 28, 2008.
EFSA requests data on the following issues:
- Data on the safety of nanomaterials used in food and feed;
- Food and feed applications and products containing or consisting of nanomaterials or produced by nanotechnology;
- Methods, procedures, and performance criteria used to analyze nanomaterials in food and feed;
- Use patterns and exposure to humans and environment;
- Risk assessments performed on nanomaterials used in food and feed;
- Toxicological data on nanomaterials used in food and feed;
- Environmental studies performed on nanotechnologies and nanomaterials used in food and feed; and
- Other data of relevance for risk assessment of nanotechnology and nanomaterials in food and feed.