Fifteen European industry associations, including the Nanotechnology Industries Association (NIA) and the European Chemical Industry Council (CEFIC), have endorsed a brochure entitled “Europe needs safe and innovative nanotechnologies and nanomaterials.” According to the brochure, the associations “support the European Commission conclusion that the current European regulatory framework adequately covers nanomaterials, is science-based and proportionate.” The brochure highlights seven key points:
- Nanotechnologies provide solutions;
- Europe needs nanotechnologies to achieve the goals of the EU 2020 strategy;
- Safety is paramount;
- Openness and transparency are vital;
- The comprehensive European regulatory framework in place has the capacity to govern the production and use of nanomaterials;
- A common workable definition system for defining nanomaterials is welcome; and
- Europe cannot afford to miss out on the opportunities provided by nanotechnologies and the benefits they bring.