On May 11, 2016, the National Nanotechnology Coordination Office (NNCO) will hold a webinar for small- and medium-sized enterprises (SME) that will focus on the experiences, successes, and challenges for SMEs working in nanotechnology and on issues of interest to the business community. The National Science Foundation’s Center for High-rate Nanomanufacturing, at Northeastern University’s College of Engineering in Boston, will host the webinar. Speakers include:
- Marcie Black: Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and co-founder of Advanced Silicon Group (ASG); and
- Viktor Vejins: President and CEO of Nano-C, Inc.
The speakers will begin the event by providing an overview of their experiences, successes, and challenges in the nanotechnology small business space. This will be followed by a question and answer (Q&A) segment with members of the public. Questions can be submitted through the end of the webinar at 3:00 p.m. (EDT) on May 11, 2016.
NNCO will launch its nanotechnology environmental, health, and safety (nanoEHS) webinar series with a May 18, 2016, webinar, “Applying a Lab Safety Culture to Nanotechnology: Educating the Next Generation of Nanoscientists.” The series is aimed at strategies for safe development and use of nanotechnology along the life cycle of nanomaterials and nanotechnology-enabled products. This first webinar will discuss how an effective culture of safety in the research laboratory facilitates safe and responsible nanomaterial research and supports the National Nanotechnology Initiative (NNI) goal of responsible development. Speakers will include:
- Charles L. Geraci, Jr.: Associate Director for Nanotechnology and Co-Manager of the Nanotechnology Research Center at the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH);
- Larry Gibbs: Associate Vice Provost for Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at Stanford University;
- Craig Merlic: Associate Professor of Chemistry and Executive Director for the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) Center for Laboratory Safety; and
- Lori Seiler: Associate Director for Global Research and Development EHS at Dow Chemical Company.
Questions for the panel can be submitted from now through the end of the webinar at 3:00 p.m. (EDT) on May 18, 2016.