The Nano-Portal: Safe Handling of Nanomaterials, the result of a project supported by the Deutsche Gesetzliche Unfallversicherung (DGUV) and developed by the Innovation Society, is now available in English. The website is intended to extend knowledge about occupational safety and health in the fields of nanomaterials and nanotechnologies. The Nano-Portal addresses:
- Awareness of prevention and safety experts in the safe handling of nanomaterials;
- Qualification of employees in laboratories and companies;
- Presentation of practical protective measures and requirements for safe workplaces;
- Description of nanomaterials and products and possible effects on health;
- Provision of basic information on risk assessment; and
- Support and advice to employers and executives.
While the website is aimed at prevention and safety experts, it also addresses employees without specific technical knowledge. It includes five nanoramas in which the user enters a virtual room and can move and explore work situtations. The 360° panorama shows products, materials, and occupational situations that deal with nanomaterials and technologies in the respective industry and in workplace areas. The nanoramas focus on the use of nanomaterials, as well as on the appropriate workplace safety measures when handling nanomaterials. Users can find situations and answer the questions that appear when clicking on the individual situations. Three different interactions are possible: (1) multiple-choice questions; (2) “traffic light“ questions; and (3) information windows. Nanorama Laboratory and Nanorama Production are available in English, while the others (Nanorama Construction, Nanorama Laboratory, Nanorama Car Workshop, Nanorama Textile, and Nanorama Production) are available only in German at this time.