On September 24 – 26, 2019, the European Commission’s (EC) Joint Research Center (JRC) hosted the 2019 Global Summit on Regulatory Science (GSRS19), which focused on nanotechnology and nanoplastics. Co-organized with the Global Coalition for Regulatory Science Research, GSRS19 covered nanotechnology research and its role in enhancing regulatory decision making, including methods, standards, and applications. In addition, GSRS19 also introduced methods and approaches to understand nanoplastics better. GSRS19 addressed the following topics in plenary and parallel sessions:
- Global regulatory science perspectives on nanotechnology and nanoplastics;
- Regulatory research needs for new and follow-on nanomedicines;
- Safety assessment of nanomaterials;
- Nanotechnology in the agri/food/feed sector;
- Documentary standards and reference materials; and
- Challenges concerning nanoplastics.
According to JRC, discussion focused on what needs to be accomplished in these areas; the research gaps and/or priorities in regulatory science and how these can be addressed; and what platforms, mechanisms, communities of practice, and networks exist (or need to be developed) to facilitate effective collaborations between international partners. JRC has posted the GSRS2019 agenda and abstracts.