The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) published a program performance one-pager on July 18, 2022, for the Nanotechnology Research Center (NTRC). NTRC conducts research to understand the potential effects on human health of exposure to engineered nanomaterials and develops methods to control or eliminate exposures. The one-pager lists the following accomplishments:
- Developed a NIOSH recommended exposure limit (REL) for silver nanomaterials and released Current Intelligence Bulletin 70: Health Effects of Occupational Exposure to Silver Nanomaterials. More information is available in our May 20, 2021, blog item;
- Published a study reviewing processes, emissions, and exposures in additive manufacturing; and
- Contributed to the 2021 National Nanotechnology Initiative Strategic Plan. More information is available in our October 12, 2021, blog item.
According to the one-pager, the following actions are next:
- Publish the document Occupational Exposure Sampling for Engineered Nanomaterials;
- Publish the document Approaches to Safe 3D Printing: A Guide for Makerspace Users, Schools, Libraries and Small Businesses;
- Conduct an evaluation of biomarkers of engineered nanomaterial exposure and disease;
- Issue in final Approaches to Developing Occupational Exposure Limits or Bands for Engineered Nanomaterials; and
- Publish the first two videos in the series of an Overview of Additive Manufacturing Health and Safety.